A fighter (Being happy #5)



 Hello!
Today I have a story for you, one that really touched me. Maybe even change me a bit. A story that I heard on a train today.
I was on a train from my home town to Maribor Next to me I saw a woman, in 40tis, maybe 50tis? She looked kinda odd, but I didn’t paid much attention until she started talking to me about the direction. I had hard time understanding her and she noticed it. “I am sorry, I am no good with words or pronunciation… never mind.” I was shocked, because I was trying to help not … you know offend her in any way, so I politely asked her to ask me again and excuse myself for not paying as much attention to her question as I should. She asked, I answered and then she burst into tears, telling me how she always gets that kind of reaction, especially with young people, so she doesn’t even bother anymore but I was the only one around. I was mostly trying to calm her down, that it is okay, telling her it is not her fault that people are impolite. She asked me if I want to hear a story and I was hooked, I love stories. 


About 19 years ago, I had a car accident. My husband died, my brother died and I was the only one who survived, but I got a serious brain damaged. I was in coma for about a year and when I woke up, I didn’t know how to talk, how to walk and I lost most of my memory. I was like an grown up baby, you know. I was so shocked and probably looked like someone has just hit me with a rock right into my face. The only thing that I actually remember clearly was the fact that I am a mother, a mother to a newborn and a kid who just started elementary school. I knew I have to fight, fight for my life, but mostly fight for them. It was so hard, learning language all over again, even more because before that I knew how to speak 6 languages. She smiled, I was very smart, working in pharmaceutical. But I did, I fought and learn again Slovene, how to walk, I even learn some English. My life was not even near like it used to be, but I was happy. I could talk on phone again and let me tell you how much I missed that! I smiled, because we women are so alike. I could go on a walk, not far, but still and most of all I could take care for my kids, my lovely two girls that I have and love so much. This accident really changed me, forever and I was positively sure that with my recovery things will only get better, but no. They did not. About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with cancer. Most people would gave up, but not me. I am a fighter, remember? So I am fighting, once again. I even started having jokes with doctors about me defeating death all over again. You know… I have no intention to surrender. I fight and I have a positive mind even though some people don’t get me, but honestly I feel like I have so much to live for, I want to see my kids grow and she smiled with her eyes so sincerely, this cancer got nothing on me I have been through worse. 

Then she had to go. I felt so inspired and so glad I give her a chance to tell me her story. Her story of her life and it was worth listening. What about yours? Are you a fighter or a quitter?
-Bella 

2 comments:

  1. Dobila sem solzne oči... Bila si "priča" zelo žalostni, pa vendar inspiracijski zgodbi.. Hvala ker si jo delila..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vredno jo je blo delit, ne slišiš česa takega vsak dan (:

      Delete